KUWAIT: Kuwait listed 505 new coronavirus infections and three virus-related deaths yesterday, to raise the total to 162,282 and 957 respectively, the health ministry said. The number of new cases have increased for the second straight day after the ministry announced 384 and 492 cases on Sunday and Monday respectively, while yesterday’s three deaths is a slight increase from two deaths announced Monday and no deaths the day before.

Meanwhile, the ministry reported 537 recoveries yesterday, raising the total to 155,303. In comparison, Kuwait had announced 513 and 507 new recoveries on Sunday and Monday respectively. The number of people hospitalized with the virus stood yesterday at 6,022 with 49 of them in intensive care units, according to ministry spokesman Dr Abdullah Al-Sanad, who revealed that 8,426 swab tests were conducted over the same period, bringing the total to 1,479,530. Dr Sanad went on to urge the public to abide by health precautions, mainly social distancing, to help limit the spread of the virus.

Minister of Health Sheikh Dr Basel Al-Humoud Al-Sabah had briefed the Cabinet during its weekly meeting Monday about the latest developments concerning the novel coronavirus that has been spreading rapidly at the global level, as the number of infections neared 100 million, with fatalities exceeding two million. The minister addressed his fellow executives about the local health status, namely counts of the casualties and the ministry’s measures intended to contain the pandemic, as well as vaccination of the public with Pfizer-BioNTech as planned. The government called anew on both citizens and expatriates to remain vigilant, and take all necessary precautions against the virus.

No cases
In this regard, Al-Qabas Arabic daily reported yesterday that no COVID-19 cases were detected among people who have already received their vaccines so far in Kuwait. In the meantime, the same paper reported quoting informed security sources that the process of inoculating 4,000 prisoners against the coronavirus will start soon. They said there is coordination at the highest level between reform establishments and the health ministry to account for the prisoners’ numbers, prepare lists of their names and send them to the health ministry, which will decide the date of the inoculation.

Sources said the lists included the elderly and those with chronic diseases, who will be inoculated first, followed by the rest of the prisoners. Inoculation will take place at the prison hospital with supervision from health ministry specialists in coordination with prison doctors. Prisoners will not be allowed to leave the prison to be inoculated to avoid any security problems.

In other news, Director of air cargo at the Directorate General of Civil Aviation Abdullah Al-Rajihi said that 32 flights arrived to Kuwait and 33 departing the country on Sunday, the first day of operation under a new condition that limits the number of arrivals to 1,000 a day, excluding domestic helpers. Rajihi told Al-Anbaa Arabic daily that the number of arrivals on Sunday was 1,365, while 3,635 passengers departed to various destinations. Rajihi said the DGCA’s decision is based on instructions of health authorities to reduce the number of passengers arriving in Kuwait, adding that it continues until Feb 6.