Charcoal smoke kills workers

Remains of a vehicle which caught fire along King Fahd expressway

Remains of a vehicle which caught fire along King Fahd expressway

KUWAIT: A citizen reported that two workers at his farm died from inhaling carbon monoxide inside their room. The victims along with a third worker had lit charcoal for heating as they slept in their locked-room, and kept the charcoal burning due to the extreme cold. According to the citizen, on noticing that the laborers on his farm were not working as usual in the morning, he checked their dormitory where he found two of them dead while a third was in critical condition. The man reported finding a charcoal fire in the room, which suggests that the laborers died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The third worker was rushed to Jahra Hospital’s ICU.

Man hurt in crash
A citizen was seriously injured when he was trapped inside the wreckage of his vehicle along Wafra road outside Sabah Al-Ahmad City, said security sources. Firemen form Wafra rushed to the scene where they cut open the wreckage and extracted the injured man, who was flown to hospital by medevac ambulance, the sources noted. Meanwhile, an Arab manĀ  sustained various injuries when he lost control over his vehicle along Abdaly highway, said security sources.

Car fire
A vehicle caught fire along King Fahd expressway before the Mina Abdullah flyover, said security sources, noting that firemen rushed to the scene and managed to control the fire without any casualties. Separately, a fire broke out in a Khaitan house, said security sources, noting that on arriving at the scene, firemen found that the fire started in a chimney and extended to some waste material left on a nearby roof. The fire was controlled and casualties were reported.

Municipality crackdown
Farwaniya municipality launched an inspection campaign in Ardiya industrial area that resulted in filing 26 citations for hiring laborers without health certificates, 21 for hiring laborers before their health certificates were issued, two for violating cleanliness regulations, three for violating personal hygiene conditions, two for storing items in unhealthy conditions, one for operating a store without license, one for ad violations and four notices were given.

By Hanan Al-Saadoun


This article was published on 30/01/2016