Battles flare as UN prepares for Yemen talks

Fresh fighting shakea the flashpoint city of Hodeida

TEHRAN: Iranians carry placards as they demonstrate in front of the UN office in Tehran yesterday in support of the Yemeni people. The World Health Organization says nearly 10,000 people have been killed in Yemen since the Saudi intervention in March 2015, but rights groups believe the toll may be five times higher. — AFP

SANAA: UN envoy Martin Griffiths was preparing yesterday to head to war-torn Yemen to lay the groundwork for peace talks in Sweden, after fresh fighting shook the flashpoint city of Hodeida. Griffiths – whose efforts at kickstarting peace talks failed in September – is again trying to get the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels and the Saudi-backed government to the negotiating table by the end of the year. He is expected to meet with Houthi officials in the capital Sanaa today. Both sides have in the past week expressed their support for the envoy and his mission to hold talks in Stockholm, but fierce clashes erupted in the Red Sea city of Hodeida late Monday after a lull.

Military officials said that the battles were the worst since loyalists halted an offensive last week, and were concentrated in the eastern part of the city where rebels fired artillery. Pro-government forces struck back, supported by warplanes from the Saudi-led coalition which launched a dozen raids, the sources said. According to Houthi-run media, clashes lasted up to four hours and resulted in fatalities. The city was relatively calm yesterday morning, according to an AFP correspondent who spoke to residents by telephone from Khokha about 100 kilometers away.

Call for truce
On Monday, Britain presented to the UN Security Council a draft resolution urging an immediate truce in Hodeida city, whose port serves as an entry point to nearly all imports and humanitarian aid to the impoverished country. The draft, circulated by Britain to the 14 other council members and seen by AFP, sets a two-week deadline for the warring sides to remove all barriers to humanitarian aid. The proposed resolution would significantly ratchet up pressure on the Saudi-led coalition and the Houthis to seek a negotiated settlement in Yemen, where millions are on the brink of starvation. It also calls for a large injection of foreign currency into the economy to support Yemen’s collapsing currency and for salaries of civil servants, teachers, and health workers to be paid within a month.

Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi, head of the Houthi rebels’ Higher Revolutionary Committee and an influential political figure, tweeted on Monday that he wanted his group to announce “readiness to suspend and halt all military operations” and stop firing missiles on Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia also lent its support to new talks. Saudi King Salman told the Shura Council, his country’s top advisory body, that Riyadh also backed a “political solution” and a “comprehensive national dialogue” in Yemen. Multiple past attempts to hold negotiations between the government alliance and Houthis have failed. Griffiths said on Monday he hoped the rivals would meet in Sweden “within the next few weeks”. No date has yet been set.

‘Stop selling weapons’
The Houthis have controlled Yemen’s capital Sanaa since capturing it in late 2014, when they also took control of Hodeida and its port. A year later, Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in the war to bolster Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Both parties in the Yemen conflict stand accused of acts that could amount to war crimes. Human Rights Watch yesterday called on France to address laws-of-war violations with the UAE – a key member of the Saudi-led coalition – during Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan’s visit to Paris on November 21. “If President (Emmanuel) Macron is truly concerned about the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, he should tell the crown prince that France will stop selling weapons to the UAE if there’s a real risk of their unlawful use,” Benedicte Jeannerod, France director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

Although western governments have condemned civilian deaths in Yemen, they remain political and military backers of Saudi Arabia, which is a regional ally and spends billions of dollars on arms from the United States, Britain and France. The World Health Organization says nearly 10,000 people – mostly civilians – have been killed in Yemen since the Saudi intervention in March 2015, but rights groups believe the toll may be five times higher. The war in Yemen – already one of the world’s most impoverished countries – has left the nation on the edge of mass starvation.- AFP


This article was published on 20/11/2018