- Kuwait Times Extra
KUWAIT: A leading opposition group will stage a demonstration at the Iradah Square next Monday against the governments decision to challenge the constitutionality of the electoral law. It also plans to intensify protests by holding sit-ins and marches.
The opposition bloc will discuss holding peaceful demonstrations, marches and sit-ins during its next meeting in line with the law,î said a member of the annulled 2012 parliament Khalid Shukhayyer. He is one of the 34 oppositionists who controlled majority seats in the house that was dissolved following a Constitutional Court ruling last June which reinstated the 2009 parliament. The Court found the dissolution decree passed late last year to be unconstitutional.
These comments were made at a meeting held by the Nahj group to prepare for the second mass gathering after a demonstration held on August 27 demanding that the Cabinet withdraw the case filed with the Constitutional Court to look into the constitutionality of five constituencies distribution, and the number of votes each voter is entitled to. A ruling will be passed on September 25 with many observers and constitutional experts believing that the court may render the electoral system as being unconstitutional. The opposition demand that any changes made to the current system will be passed by a new parliament that is elected after the 2009 assembly is dissolved.
Sources close to Nahj revealed in statements to Al-Qabas that they discussed during their meeting Thursday about ìpassing the night at the Iradah Squareî following Mondayís demonstration. Meanwhile, Al-Rai daily quoted other sources who indicated that the option of staging marches remains a strong possibility during discussions held yesterday. Under Kuwaiti law, citizens are allowed to stage demonstrations as long as protestors do not march en masse. They are required to obtain licenses before they staging an sit-in overnight.
Nahj is optimistic that Mondayís demonstration has better chances of larger participation compared to the gathering held two weeks ago. The opposition bloc believes that participation was affected by poor weather and the fact that it took place before the end of the schools summer break.î
The blocís coordination committee convenes today in order review communications held with different political activists and groups to join the National Front for the Protection of the Constitution, Al-Qabas reported yesterday. In a related note, sources close to the opposition told Al-Rai daily that the front is an integrated project for reform rather than being a reaction to the government’s decision to refer the electoral law to the Constitutional Court.î
Sources revealed that the front is ìa project that will outline the elements of political reform that the opposition will work to achieve.î These elements include constitutional amendments through which transition to a full parliamentary system and eventually an elected Cabinet is achieved,î as well as regulations paving the way for this goal including ìa system based on single constituency and election by list, as well as establishment of an independent election authority.î
A party wishing to join the national front must accept all aspects of political reform it promotes, as partial agreement will not result in membership being granted.
Lawmaker Dr Hassan Jouhar said that he welcomed joining a national front that helps Kuwait out of the current situation by ending the ongoing political crisis as long as the project remains true to its nationalistic approach by eliminating personal interest.î Al-Qabas, Al-Rai
Read by 1104